12 Insights on Sex and Spirituality by Deepak Chopra
- Sexual energy is the primal and creative energy of the universe. All things that are alive come from sexual energy. In animals and other life forms, sexual energy expresses itself as biological creativity. In humans, sexual energy can be creative at all levels — physical, emotional and spiritual. In any situation — where we feel attraction, arousal, awakening, alertness, passion, interest, inspiration, excitement, creativity, enthusiasm — in each of these situations, sexual energy is at work. Whenever we feel these states of awareness, we must put our attention on the energy that we are experiencing, nourishing it with our attention, experiencing it with joy and keeping it alive in our awareness.
- Sexual desire is sacred and chaste. The suppression of sexual energy is false, ugly and unchaste.
- During sexual union, there is union between flesh and spirit.
- Bliss, care-freeness and playfulness are the essence of sex.
- To improve your sexual experiences, get rid of your expectations.
Expectations are primarily in three areas: 1) Performance, exemplified in the question, “How am I doing?” 2) Feeling, exemplified in the question, “How am I feeling?” 3) Security, exemplified in the question, “Do you love me?”
- In sex, as in all areas of life, resistance is born of fear. All resistance is mental. It implies judgment against what is being felt. Sex becomes a problem when it gets mixed with hidden emotions such as shame, guilt and anger.
- Sexual intimacy is the road to the taste or experience of true freedom, because it is the one area of life in which we can become completely uninhibited and free.
- Sexual fulfillment occurs when the experience comes from playfulness instead of need. Frequently people bring their conflicts and needs into the sexual experience. When sex is used to fulfill needs, it leads to addiction. When sex comes from playfulness, the result is ecstasy.
- All problems related to sex, neurosis, deviancy, sexual misbehavior, violence, abuse, can be traced to resistance, suppression and repression — not to the sexual urges themselves. If we are allowed to discover our urges, desires and emotions, without outside inhibition, they won’t go to extremes. Extremism, in any form, is a reaction to repression, inhibition and suppression. Aggression and violence are the shadow energies of fear and impotence.
- Sex is a means of escaping our little self or ego. It is many peoples’ only experience of meditation.
- Meaningful sex has to be value based. Values are personal. Each situation that has sexual energy in it, involves the whole human being and their entire value system. My values may be different from yours, and I have no right to be the moral judge of anyone’s values. It is important, however, to have core values, and respect them. Without values, we become spiritually bankrupt. Sexual experience will never cause problems and will always be joyful, if lovers share the same values.
- True intimacy is union between flesh and flesh, between subtle body and subtle body, between soul and soul. Sexual energy is sacred energy. When we have restored the sexual experience to the realm of the sacred, our world will be chaste and divine, holy and healed.
I am completely respectful of everyone’s beliefs even if they don’t agree with mine, but here are some ways of approaching the after-life from an academic perspective.
THE MIND-BODY CONNECTION
So before we delve into if the mind survives death, we first need to establish that the mind is a powerful entity. It’s not just a product of the brain but instead something that it’s own thing, and can even influence the brain itself.
Take the classical placebo effect for example. That’s a mind over matter phenomena, how does believing something so much cause physical changes? Other ways include the existence of psychic powers, hypnosis, and mind over matter interactions (some of these are ofcourse still up to debate)
Here are a bunch of experiments and case studies that approach the mind-body connection.
- POWER OF HYPNOSIS
- SENSE OF BEING STARED AT
- GANZFELD EXPERIMENTS
- CURE FOR CANCER BY THOUGHT
- SCIENTISTS CONVINCE PEOPLE THAT THEIR HANDS ARE ROCKS
- LYING ON A BED OF NAILS WITHOUT INJURY
- MANY PEOPLE: ONE BODY
- YOGI STOPS HEARTBEAT
- NOCEBO EFFECT
- PHANTOM PREGNANCY
- MEDITATION TO CHANGE BODY TEMPERATURE
DEATH EXPERIENCES (NDE)
An NDE is when someone is clinically dead for a long period of time. Thanks to recent medical innovations however, they can be brought back to life. In that “clinically dead” stage, their brain completely shuts down.
They should hence report back no perception. However, a large number of people do report seeing things such as a bright white light, a life review, deceased family members, and another world.
The AWARE study is a current on-going research project that decided to study this phenomenon. They will also be testing the validity of NDE through the use of randomly generated hidden images.
These images are not visible unless viewed from specific vantage points above. A patient will be put under cardiac arrest. Once the patient is resuscitated, they will be asked if they had an NDE and if so can they describe the image?
You can visit their official website here: X
Also in case you doubt the amazing phenomena of an NDE, read about the case of Pam Reynolds: X
While this is a topic that may not agree with many people religions, there has been fascinating case studies of reincarnation. Most reincarnation cases have been involved in Indian, China yes, where reincarnation is a huge religious ideal.
HOWEVER, there have been plenty of reincarnation cases in the USA and Europe. You may be wondering what a reincarnation case even is. It’s when a small child, usually around the age of 2-5, starts to recall past life events.
They say things like “I want to back to my real mom, you’re not my real mom”. They start to behave like how their “past life” person behaved, so if the past life was a shoemaker, they’d start to play around with shoes a lot. And sometimes they even give out factual evidence, like “I used to be a carpenter that lived on the yellow house in 1098 St.” Researchers go to the exact spot and find that yes, not to long ago someone did died there who was a carpenter.
READ MORE INTERESTING CASES OF REINCARNATION HERE: X
If you are really, really interested I recommend the book Life Before Life by Raymond Moody. The book can be read from google books: X
There have even been experiments, where an old, dying person was given a mark on his/her body and told to reincarnate themselves. A couple months later, a baby was born with the same exact mark on the same exact part of the body. You can read more about those cases in Life Before Life.
There have been millions and millions cases of ghostly sightings, dating as far back as prehistoric eras.
If someone is going to ask for repeatable scientific evidence of “ghosts” and “proof of a soul after death” well the answer is no one can really give you that. Atleast not yet.
A ghost is a fleeting concept. You can’t predict it. It comes and it goes.
But you know what that sounds like?
Imagine being a person 100,000 years back, seeing a flaming rock in the sky. You go and tell all your friends, and they probably will tell you “you’re crazy” or that you “imagined it”.
But it’s there. It exists. You just can’t go and show them.
The different thing about meteorites, is that our technology improved and we can track them in outer space now. They’ve become a scientific fact. They exist. With ghosts, and the non-material world, we have yet to do that.
Well anyway, that’s my academic and almost philosophical (the last part) take on the after-life. As you can see the points shown here do favor the existence of an after-life.
Ray Brown, Milt “Bags” Jackson, and Sonny Sitt in the back